Sunday, February 12, 2012

Making baby food

So this go around I wanted to try making Emma's baby food. Everyone I have talked to says its really easy and cheaper than buying baby food. Not to mention its healthier for them.

I started off with sweet potatoes, butternut squash and green beans. I cooked the sweet potatoes and butternut squash in the oven. The green beans I steamed in our steamer. Pureed them all in the blender and added water for consistency. Than poured them in ice cube trays to freeze. Once they froze I put them in labeled freezer bags to store. It was super easy!

Made 43 servings of sweet potatoes, 37 servings of butternut squash, and 14 servings of green beans. Grand total of  94 servings (1 oz each) of baby food for $ 11.38

If I were to buy this in jars at the local grocery store (Big Y) with level 1 pureed 2 pack of 2.5 oz (5 oz) costing 1.25 so .25 an ounce it would cost me  23.50

Meaning I already saved 12.12!!

I found this website to be full of helpful information






No comments:

Post a Comment